Error running install command for unipi_eprom when booting stretch

• Hi Tomas,

I get this error above mentioned message when booting stretch after the installation of evok.
    it seems to be a problem with eprom of unipi.

system Status:

systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2017-11-17 12:50:58 CET; 2min 17s ago
         Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
               man:modules-load.d(5)
      Process: 126 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
     Main PID: 126 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 17 12:50:58 raspberrypi systemd-modules-load[126]: Inserted module 'i2c_dev'
    Nov 17 12:50:58 raspberrypi systemd-modules-load[126]: Inserted module 'i2c_bcm2708'
    Nov 17 12:50:58 raspberrypi systemd-modules-load[126]: Error running install command for unipi_eprom
    Nov 17 12:50:58 raspberrypi systemd-modules-load[126]: Failed to insert 'unipi_eprom': No such file or directory
    Nov 17 12:50:58 raspberrypi systemd-modules-load[126]: /etc/opt/unipi_eprom: 24: /etc/opt/unipi_eprom: cannot create /sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-1/device/new_device: Directory none
    Nov 17 12:50:58 raspberrypi systemd-modules-load[126]: sh: 1: cannot create /sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-1/new_device: Directory nonexistent
    Nov 17 12:50:58 raspberrypi systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Nov 17 12:50:58 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
    Nov 17 12:50:58 raspberrypi systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Nov 17 12:50:58 raspberrypi systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

How can I fix it?

• administrators

@juntiedt It seems that I2C is not enabled. Could you post content of /boot/config.txt and /etc/modules and the output of lsmod command? Btw. did you restart UniPi after installation?

• Hi Tomas,
    hope you meant command insmod.

# For more options and information see
    # http://rpf.io/configtxt
    # Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
    #hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
    # and your display can output without overscan
    #disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
    # goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
    #overscan_left=16
    #overscan_right=16
    #overscan_top=16
    #overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
    # overscan.
    #framebuffer_width=1280
    #framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=82

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
    # DMT (computer monitor) modes
    #hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
    # no display
    #config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
    #sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
    #arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
    dtparam=i2c_arm=on
    #dtparam=i2s=on
    #dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
    #dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
    dtparam=audio=on

# NOOBS Auto-generated Settings:
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    gpu_mem=128 

#Enable i2c bus 1
    device_tree_param=i2c1=on
    dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,mcp7941x
    dtoverlay=unipiee
    dtoverlay=neuronee

#dtoverlay=w1-gpio

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

i2c-dev

i2c-bcm2708
    unipi_eprom
    unipi_rtc

sudo insmod /etc/opt/unipi_eprom
    insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /etc/opt/unipi_eprom: Invalid module format

• administrators

If I2C works, then the errors should be harmless. The modules are used for older versions of Raspbian, and as a whole don't indicate that anything is wrong by itself.

You can delete the 4 lines in /etc/modules to stop the error from cropping up.

We'll try to do it with kernel version detection during the installation, or drop the old versions altogether.

Edit: The insmod fails because the modules are compiled for an older kernel, and will only load on old Jessie