Additional digital (5-24v) inputs & 0-10v outputs?

• Hi,

I'm looking for home automation hardware and really like the look of the UniPi as an option.

For lighting the idea would be to have 12 or 24v DC switches (momentary push-to-make) as inputs and all the loads connected via relays. Perhaps some proximity sensors too. Bit of code to tie it all together… easy

For simple on/off output, things are covered with the relay extension.

I'm not sure about dimming (it's just a 'nice to have'), but one idea is to use the 0-10v output to drive a dimmer module (Eltako make some promising looking stuff).

My question is this though: the UniPi only has 14 digital inputs and one 0-10v output. How can these be expanded?

I see on the relay extension it says, "you don’t need to buy another UniPi board if you need relays only"... which implies you do need to buy another UniPi for more inputs. Is that correct? I assume if it is you need another Raspberry Pi & daisy chain control somehow. Is this explained anywhere?

With only one 0-10v output per UniPi that's not gonna be great for dimming, any other extension options available or other ways to dim lights?

Thanks

• Hi,

I'm looking for home automation hardware and really like the look of the UniPi as an option.

For lighting the idea would be to have 12 or 24v DC switches (momentary push-to-make) as inputs and all the loads connected via relays. Perhaps some proximity sensors too. Bit of code to tie it all together… easy

For simple on/off output, things are covered with the relay extension.

I'm not sure about dimming (it's just a 'nice to have'), but one idea is to use the 0-10v output to drive a dimmer module (Eltako make some promising looking stuff).

My question is this though: the UniPi only has 14 digital inputs and one 0-10v output. How can these be expanded?

I see on the relay extension it says, "you don’t need to buy another UniPi board if you need relays only"... which implies you do need to buy another UniPi for more inputs. Is that correct? I assume if it is you need another Raspberry Pi & daisy chain control somehow. Is this explained anywhere?

With only one 0-10v output per UniPi that's not gonna be great for dimming, any other extension options available or other ways to dim lights?

Thanks

• Hello,

yes, so far extending fast Digital Inputs is not possible - only with another UniPi (+Rpi) because the DIs are connected right to the RPi's GPIOs. There are another digital inputs for the 1Wire network but it is too slow for switching lights.

There is a```
    analog output addon

• Thanks for the heads up. It's not that big a dea to have multiple UniPi modules I guess.

• Interestingly I found an I2C input board today:

https://www.ereshop.com/shop/index.php? ... cts_id=818

I hear what you're saying about direct read of GPIOs but the I2C bus is supposed to be fast & this device claims to have an I2C interrupt so the microcontroller can instantly be notified (and therefore detect) state changes.

Do you see any problems interfacing a board such as this with the UniPi?

• That might also be a solution but the IC is not supported in evok. Our relay boards are based on MCP23008/23017 which also has INT pin but you would have to wire out this INT pin to an unused GPIO or to a DI (via a transistor) detect the interrupt event and read the values from the IC. So you could loose some impulses when doing all this. But may be possible.